Matildas At Home: New faces mark call ups with goals

It was goals galore for the Commonwealth Bank Matildas in A-League Women as the competition nears the halfway mark of the season.

Journey to 2023 - Thin Banner

Karly Roestbakken’s Canberra United has been busy with a midweek scoreless draw against Perth Glory before a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Adelaide United.

The Reds got off to a great start with Dylan Holmes and Chelsie Dawber finding the back of the net in the first half. While Ash Sykes’ goal got the home side back into the game Fiona Worts put the result beyond all doubt.

Sydney FC continued to be at their ruthless best recording a 4-0 win over Perth Glory.

Fresh off their Commonwealth Bank Matildas call ups both Remy Siemsen and Cortnee Vine combined to tee up Mackenzie Hawkesby who continued her irresistible form, scoring goal number five for the season.

Vine added her own name to the scoresheet breaking down the right and slotting the ball into the far post. So too did Siemsen thanks to Vine’s work again down the right.

Charlie Rule added the Sky Blues’ fourth with a bullet header while Jada Whyman kept yet another clean sheet as Sydney sit comfortably at the top of the table.

Western Sydney recorded their first victory of the season with Bryleeh Henry’s converted penalty earning them the three points.

While Jamilla Rankin, Katrina Gorry, and the whole Roar side created chances and looked for the breakthrough, the Wanderers held tight to claim an important win.

Finally, Melbourne City continued their strong form registering a 4-0 win over Wellington Phoenix. While the Nix showed some of their best play so far this season a Kaitlyn Torpey strike put the home side ahead.

Holly McNamara - who was called up to the Commonwealth Bank Matildas' Dubai camp - and Hannah Wilkinson were up to their old tricks again with the Kiwi adding a second. Winonah Heatley not content with just being called up to the Commonwealth Bank Matildas camp added a third for City off a corner.

Emma Checker then completed the win for Rado Vidosic’s side to keep them in touch with Sydney FC and in second spot on the ladder.