The Westfield Matildas have been forced to settle for a 0-0 draw with Portugal in their second Algarve Cup match on Saturday morning (AEDT).
Denied an early penalty, Australia battled hard against the host nation but were unable to replicate the fluidity of their 4-3 win over Norway.
Alen Stajcic made four changes to that team but retained Clare Polkinghorne for the experienced defender's 100th international cap.
Despite the draw, the Westfield Matildas remain first in Group A ahead of their clash with China PR on Tuesday morning (6:00am AEDT).
STORY OF THE GAME
- CONTROVERSY: Australia were denied what appeared to be a clear early penalty when Chloe Logarzo was tripped, only for the referee adjudged the foul as being outside the area.
- CLASS DEFENDING: Polkinghorne anticipated a threatening moment midway through the half to snuff out a shooting opportunity for Jessica Silva.
- SAVE! Lydia Williams next came to Australia's rescue, smothering a one-on-one with Diana Silva.
- CHANCE: Lisa De Vanna looked set to break the deadlock shortly after the hour, but she was unable to trap Sam Kerr's cross.
- INJURY: Stajcic's injury problems grew with Emily Condon forced off with an ankle problem shortly after coming on for her international debut.
- SAVE! Williams again did well to tip over a deflected Vanessa Marques effort.
- CHANCE: Kerr was bundled over on the edge of the area in the dying moments, but Alanna Kennedy's misdirected free-kick meant the deadlock remained intact.
Portugal draw halts Westfield Matildas' record winning run
The Westfield Matildas' eight-match winning run has come to an end following a 0-0 draw with Portugal at the Algarve Cup. Even the in-form Sam Kerr was unable to find a way through the well-organised host nation, although Australia will feel aggrieved not to have been awarded
Westfield Matildas held by plucky Portugal at Algarve Cup
The Westfield Matildas have been forced to settle for a 0-0 draw with Portugal in their second Algarve Cup match on Saturday morning (AEDT). Denied an early penalty, Australia battled hard against the host nation but were unable to replicate the fluidity of their 4-3 win over
Algarve Cup preview: Westfield Matildas v Portugal
After a last-gasp 4-3 win over Norway in their opening match of the Algarve Cup tournament, the Westfield Matildas face hosts Portugal in their second group game. The Portuguese side belied their lowly world ranking by notching a 2-1 victory over China in their opening game of
FOX SPORTS to broadcast Westfield Matildas Algarve Cup matches LIVE & EXCLUSIVE
Football fans will be able to follow the Westfield Matildas’ tilt at this year’s Algarve Cup in Portugal thanks to FOX SPORTS. In fantastic news for supporters, FOX SPORTS has confirmed that they will broadcast the team’s campaign LIVE, EXCLUSIVE and ad-break free during play.